What is Depression and Its Consequences
The first step to getting rid of depression is to understand what it is, which is why it occurs, how it affects your life.
Depression – Low Mood?
The word “depression” is commonly included in our everyday life. Often people observe depression simple short-term depressed mood due to some unpleasant life events. Usually, however, these episodes of mood decline is a normal reaction to stress that regularly undergo all healthy people. Even reduced over a period of several days to several weeks, mood may be reaction to severe stress (eg, dismissal, divorce, illness or death of close relative). The mood in such cases is normalized after settlement of stressful situation or change of attitude to it. On the other hand, if occasion is an important enough, people highly worried about it, as well as due to other minor reasons, it may be a symptom of depression. Or if there was a lot of stress for a long time and people can not get over it, perhaps this event is triggered depression beginning.
How to Talk to Family about Depression?
- Start with a story about your experiences.
- Be truthful in describing your experiences. Do not be afraid that you will not be understood. Describe your feelings to them. You might be easier after you tell them what happens to you.
- Explain what is depression.
- Tell them what you know about depression – exactly it is a condition that can have many causes, that it is based on changes in metabolism in brain, and that there are methods of its correction. If relatives and friends will understand that this is an abnormal state – they will be able to help you.
- Spend time with them.
- You can offer to spend time with them, for example, to walk together, to solve crossword puzzle. Tell family members that simply being in their company can ease your condition.
- Do not hesitate to ask for help.
- You may need their support to go to doctor or help around the house.
Take Care of your Loved ones
Do not forget that communication is two-way process. Your loved ones may wonder why you have less to take off and experience to communicate because of this, or even offended. Explain that because of depression, it may be difficult to communicate a lot, you can get tired of great emotional stress. Tell us what you’re trying to maintain relationship, and that you care of them. It will help you keep relationship with your loved ones until you will feel better.
How to Get Rid of Depression?
Depression is a condition from which you can get rid of.
If you are experiencing only mild symptoms of depression for a few days – you can try to deal with it yourself. Set yourself a deadline of when you expect to improve your condition and if it does not – visit a specialist.
The First Steps in Depression Treatment
- Learn more about depression and its treatment using materials of website: Canadian Health&Care Mall: http://www.peakhypnosis.com/. Note any symptoms you have read about existing methods of treatment, you can read what questions may be discussed with the doctor.
- Visit a specialist – psychotherapist. It will help you determine whether you have depression and how to cope with it.
- Talk to your relatives or friends. Depression can alienate you from them. Close people can support you in this period and help to find a specialist for disease. You do not have to stay with depression alone. After a conversation with people you will feel better.
Depression disfigures perception of human life and may cause shame, fear and guilt for the fact that a person suffers from it. Many people suffer in silence, feeling depressed. Some are ashamed or afraid to admit their feelings; others deceive themselves, underestimating severity of symptoms, as a result disease’s treatment is delayed.
Remember that one of depression manifestations is hopelessness.It will be difficult to believe that something can help you, but in most cases depression is treatable.
After you tell me what happens to you, you can ask doctor-therapist:
- Do you think I have depression? (After all, even if you have some of symptoms described above, only a doctor can establish an accurate diagnosis)
- Do you think what cause depression
- What should I do to get rid of depression?
- Do I need to consult further any experts? (Depression is often associated with neurological disorders) If yes – could you recommend me someone?
- Do I need to take vacation, to absolve themselves of responsibility as something else to change lifestyle?
- How long can last depression?
- What are consequences that may appear if I do not start treatment now?
- What method of treatment is preferred – medication, psychotherapy or combination therapy?
- Where to buy medications? – via Canadian Family Pharmacy.
How to Get Rid of Depression
Choice of treatment depends on depression type, its origin (endogenous or psychogenic, that is caused by stress), severity of symptoms, previous experience of treatment, tolerability of side effects, characteristics of patient’s personality.
When endogenous depression, basic element of treatment – antidepressants of Canadian Family Pharmacy; antidepressants are selected individually with individual dosage.
When reactive depression mandatory component of treatment is psychotherapy.
For diagnosis and treatment is best to consult doctor-psychotherapist – he can accurately determine if you have depression, what is origin and how best to deal with it.
What else can you do to get rid of depression?
- Do not make important decisions
Depression can interfere with you to take an informed decision, because in depression people perceives themselves and the world nonobjective.
- Try to avoid stress
For a person suffering from depression, even a small loading may seem a heavy loading. Not overtense yourself even when you feel that you have power – it can cause deterioration.
- Take care of your body
The depressed person often loses physical strength, feels exhausted. If you feel that you have any physical force – give your body a little exercise, but do not overdo it – start slowly walk or care for flowers.
- Eat regularly and with pleasure
If you have an appetite – do not deny yourself of good food. It will help you to regain a taste for life. When depression breaks down immune system, so try to eat more vitamins.
- Avoid negative thoughts
If you have a negative thought – try to think of something pleasant, distracted by some action – a cup of tea, listen to radio, or call a friend.
- Communicate with friends and family, even overcoming yourself
Your loved ones can be a source of support. They can help you make decisions or solve problems that you are afraid not to cope with, help with housework.
- Do not hesitate to inform doctor-therapist of any problems or changes in well-being
The doctor will help to cope with any problem, if he knows about it.
- Do not take drugs and alcohol – they can provoke deterioration.
Try not to abuse hypnotics.
Talk with loved ones that you are concerned – they will support you
How to Prevent Depression Development?
- do not impose themselves too excessive demands.
- do not scold yourself for all failures, it is better calm down and think, what is your fault, and then try to solve problem in another way.
- make a schedule and try to follow it.
- for any achievements Reward yourself (for example, buy nice clothes, etc.).
- exercise on a daily basis (charging) or at least 2 times a week.
- periodically relax, either alone or together with family.
- most often communicate with family and friends.
- if in your life you’ve endured quite a strong depression, in order to prevent its recurrence advisable to periodically consult with your doctor, therapist and / or undergo psychological training.
How is Depression Manifested?
Some people with depression say depression – is a black stripe in their life, a series of misfortunes, when everything seems black. Many people say they feel that they lack physical and spiritual strength, power, that they can not focus. Others constantly feel causeless irritability because of trifles. Different people have depression which manifests itself in different ways.
People with depression may say:
- “I feel sad all the time”
- “I feel something wrong with me”
- “I do not get pleasure of communicating with friends or things that are pleasing me before”
- “sleep does not bring relief to me”
- “I have no cause of pain throughout body”
- “Sometimes I do not see point in my life”
The Main Depression Symptoms
- Constant sadness, irritability, tension.
- Loss of interest in things that previously brought pleasure. A very common symptom is inability to enjoy life.
- Feelings of guilt, hopelessness, fatigue.
- Slowing of thinking, difficulty concentrating and making decisions, obsessive return to the same issues.
- Fear (before everyday life or indeterminate), inner restlessness, anxiety.
- Increased irritability.
- Unwillingness or lack of strength to communicate with friends and acquaintances.
- Constant feeling of power lack, feeling of weakness and fatigue
- volatile pain, headache
- A sense of melancholy
- Sleep disturbance: difficulty with falling asleep, shallow sleep, early morning waking up with inability to fall asleep afterwards. Or vice versa – constant sleepiness.
- Feeling of weakness, powerlessness in the morning, until inability to stand. Sometimes patients may lay in the bed for whole day. Often, however, there is some activity in the evening.
- Loss of appetite accompanied by weight loss or, more rarely, weight gain.
- Characteristic changes in taste sensations. People suffering from depression, saying: “food has become tasteless, like grass.” No less characteristic of loss of preferences in food – a person is still there, he does not want to “tasty” things.
- Colors may appear dim, unnatural sounds of world “flat”
- Sexual disorders (loss of libido, potency disorder)
- Vegetative symptoms (dry mouth, constipation, sweating, heart beating, mydriasis).
- Sometimes in severe cases depression is accompanied by thoughts of death or suicidal thoughts.
A combination of several of symptoms may indicate depression presence, and one should consult psychotherapist. By no means it is impossible to diagnose or self-medicate. Man perceives himself always subjective, as well as his relatives.
You also need to have expertise and experience to be able to accurately determine presence of depression and distinguish it from other possible diseases. Moreover, only an expert is able to assign appropriate treatment, appropriate to this particular patient. Some of these symptoms are also characteristic for anxiety disorders. It is important to diagnose disease because it affects choice of its treatment methods.