Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction
According to statistical data, a large number of members of the stronger sex at the age of 40 have problems in sexual life. In medicine, such sexual disorder has a definition – erectile dysfunction in men. This term refers to inability to maintain or achieve erection sufficient for intercourse.
According to diagnostic results, erectile dysfunction, as a rule, does not represent a separate disease, but is a symptom of some other disease. Also, a particularly negative impact on sexual life of a man has their wrong way of life.
Today, treatment of erectile dysfunction is successfully practiced in almost all clinics around the world and ways to eliminate this problem are expanding every year.
Causes of Appearance
All problems with erection begin with predisposing factors, which include:
- various diseases. Erectile dysfunction in men can occur in presence of any organic causes, such as atherosclerosis, prostate adenoma, sexually transmitted infections, cancer, diabetes, prostatitis, excessive obesity, damage to genitals and much more. Also, problems with erectile dysfunction arise from abuse of alcohol and nicotine;
- psychogenic factors. This reason is closely related to emotional state of a man. In this case, violations in sexual life can be caused in conditions of depression, chronic fatigue, stress, vitamin deficiency, regular lack of sleep;
- reception of medicines. Some types of drugs can also affect potency. For this reason, for problems with erection patient must list to urologist all the drugs that he took before the appearance of dysfunction.
Before starting treatment of erectile dysfunction in men, it is necessary to identify the cause of its appearance, and only then doctor will be able to appoint competent and correct therapy. For this purpose, a specialist assigns various examinations, including:
- primary consultation;
- questionnaire IIEF-5;
- general blood analysis;
- measurement of blood pressure;
- measurement of amount of cholesterol in blood;
- determination of glucose level in urine and blood.
After passing all necessary tests, specialist appoints the most suitable treatment for erectile dysfunction for individual characteristics of the body.
After identifying the cause of sexual impotence, patient undergoes restorative therapy:
- As a rule, the most commonly used conservative treatment includes:
- doing sports;
- use of folk remedies;
- treatment of erectile dysfunction with pills, intake of vitamins, biostimulants and aphrodisiacs;
- implementation of certain procedures aimed at treatment of chronic diseases.
- If the cause of appearance of impotence lies in violation of production of sex hormones, patient is prescribed replacement therapy with use of hormonal drugs.
- Doctor can also prescribe use of antidepressants, work with psychologists and alternative therapies (for example, hypnosis), in case of psychoemotional disorders in patient.
- At violations of functions of vasculature of genital organs, thrombolytic and anti-sclerotic therapy is performed. If these methods can not solve the problem, surgical intervention is prescribed.
- In rare cases, erectile dysfunction is treated surgically, which can be done in two ways:
- to increase blood flow in penis, an additional artery is created to cavernous bodies.
- to reduce outflow of blood from cavernous bodies, veins of penis are ligated.
However, experience shows that effectiveness of these procedures is quite low and rarely exceeds 30%.
It is introduction of artificial prosthesis into cavernous bodies. The technique is highly efficient – about 70 – 85%. However, this procedure has a number of contraindications, such as:
- Peyronie’s disease;
- congenital cavernous fibrosis;
- insufficiency of venous occlusion.
Faloprosthesis is quite a complicated surgery, therefore the procedure can not be performed in all clinics. This surgery is prescribed only in the rarest cases, when traditional methods of treatment are ineffective. But it should be noted that modern medicine has stepped far ahead and the vast majority of cases of erectile dysfunction treatment, pills, massage, folk remedies and other procedures are successfully coping with the problem, returning a full satisfaction with sexual life.
Problems with erection should not be eliminated on their own. The most effective therapy can be selected only by urologist. Taking unsuitable medications and self-medication can have detrimental effect on health and only significantly aggravate the situation.
Erectile Dysfunction: Treatment with Pills
In the vast majority of cases, erectile dysfunction is eliminated by the use of special pills. Specialist selects medicines for each patient individually, based on patient’s state of health.
Most pharmacological agents are produced in pills, which should be used only on advice of doctor. Medication is taken about an hour before onset of sexual intercourse, which stimulates erection necessary for comfortable sexual intercourse.
In addition to oral preparations, drugs can be injected into the body of penis. Intracavernous administration of medicines has been used for many years in medicine. The essence of this technique is to introduce special injections into cavernous body of penis. Injection should be done before sexual intercourse begins, as a result of which erection is achieved. However, process of administering a drug is painful and can give unpleasant sensations.
Modern science has developed a large number of different pills to treat erectile dysfunction in men. The result of using these drugs and their quality does not cause patients any doubts. Especially widespread from them are:
- Viagra is one of the most effective drugs for enhancing potency, as well as treating erectile dysfunction. Perhaps, this drug is known to all and has a large number of positive reviews. Effect of the pill lasts for 4 – 5 hours, then it is quickly excreted from the body naturally. One of the benefits of the drug is that it can be combined with other medicines needed to treat problems with potency, but they can be consumed only 12 hours after taking Viagra;
- Levitra is a fast-acting pill and is the only one indicated for admission to patients with diabetes;
- Cialis is an effective remedy for erectile dysfunction. Pills are able to maintain penis in erected state for 36 hours. The drug has a small amount of contraindications and side effects, due to which receives a large number of positive reviews.
Despite all its effectiveness, pills for treatment of erectile dysfunction have their contraindications. These include:
- sickle-cell anemia;
- duodenal ulcer;
- multiple myeloma;
- various diseases of penis;
- individual intolerance of the drug: allergy, itching, anaphylactic shock, etc.
Also, pills for strengthening and maintaining erection are contraindicated when taking medications that include nitric oxide detonators and nitrates (for example: nitroglycerine).